With Memorial dDay weekend coming up perhaps you’re looking for a recipe for a side to bring to a cook-out or picnic this weekend. Might I suggest this salad — it isn’t a potato salad. This is a bacon salad with potatoes in it. Its hard for me to describe just how good this dish is –huge chunks of salty meaty bacon, creamy bites of potato and bright green asparagus all tossed together in a creamy, tangy dressing. This potato salad is absolutely perfect when served warm and doesn’t get any less delicious at room temperature. Show up with this dish and you’ll be the star of any BBQ this weekend.
I only have one tip when it comes to this dish — Buy slab bacon. Trust me. You can make this with regular bacon and I’m sure it’ll be fine…. but making it with thick batons of slab bacon will absolutely blow your mind. The bacon isn’t here to be a crispy addition — its meant to be the meaty star of the dish.
- I pound of baby red potatoes, cut in half
- 1½ cups of asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound of slab bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ¼ cup of green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- salt to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the potatoes into a medium size pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium. Allow the potatoes to cook for 10-15 minutes until they are fork tender.
- Toss the asparagus with a tablespoon of oil and lay out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes until the asparagus is tender but still slightly crispy.
- In a large, heavy bottomed pan, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until it is cooked through and beginning to crisp around the edges. Remove from pan and save 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease.
- In a small bowl, mix together the bacon grease, mustard, mayonnaise, vinegar, paprika, and black pepper.
- Allow the potatoes, asparagus and bacon to cool. While they are still slightly warm, toss them with the dressing and green onions.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.