Last month, during my brief bout with veganism, (terrible… so so terrible) I attended an awesome brunch at my friend Toni’s house. For 3 hours I sat in her living room while dozens and dozens of people oohed and aahed over the amazing candied bacon she made. It was probably the saddest afternoon of my life. I dreamt about candied bacon that night and I swear I smelled bacon everywhere I went for a week.
I’ve made that bacon three times since the end of my cleanse and each time its more delicious than the last. When you’re making this make sure you keep a few things in mind: 1) try to use very thick cut bacon; 2) line your baking sheets with tin foil or you’ll never get them clean; and 3) make about twice as much as you think you’ll eat.. trust me, you’ll finish it all.
- 2 pounds of thick cut bacon
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of paprika
- 1 tablespoons of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with tin foil.
- In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, paprika, cayenne and black pepper.
- Toss each slice of bacon in the sugar mixture, using your fingers to press the sugar onto the bacon. Arrange the slices in a single layer on the baking sheets.
- Bake until the bacon has crisped up and the sugar has caramelizes, around 20-25 minutes.