Perhaps you’re noticing the massive displays of tomatoes taking over your grocery store? Yep… its almost summer. Time to start enjoying all of the bright beautiful varieties of tomatoes that are out there.
This quick marinated salad is the perfect way to use a wide variety of tomatoes. The acidity and salt really highlight the sweetness of the tomato and the variety of herbs bring a bright freshness to the dish.
Enjoy a big bowl as a light lunch or serve it with fish, chicken or pork as a simple and light summer side dish. This salad can be eaten right away but it tastes best after sitting in the fridge for a little while.
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon of basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of scallion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of parsley, chopped
- 1 inch wedge of red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the dressing, mix the red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, sugar and a small pinch of salt together in a small bowl
- Toss the dressing with the tomatoes, onions and herbs. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes or up to 12 hours.