On Valentine’s Day my friend Tanisha posted the most amazing salad on Instagram — it involved caramelized pears, prosciutto and dates and it was stunningly presented. I gave her 12 hours to enjoy the day with her sweetheart and then immediately emailed her for the recipe.
She was working with love in her heart so she had the time and patience to caramelize the pears but honestly I just wasn’t in the mood. I’m also trying to cut down my sugar intake in time for summer so I decided to go with fresh pears and replace the dates with blue cheese for a pungent bite. As with all the other salads that I post, you should put in as much or as little of each ingredient as you personally enjoy.
- 4 cups of arugula
- 1 pear, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces of blue cheese, crumbled
- 4 slices of prosciutto
- 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, cook the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar together for 5 minutes and then allow to cool.
- Toss the arugula with the extra virgin olive oil and a small pinch of salt.
- Divide the arugula over two large plates. Top each plate with half of the pear, two slices of prosciutto and one ounce of blue cheese. Drizzle with a tablespoon of the cooled balsamic mixture and top with a bit of fresh black pepper to taste.