I’m not really a salad person. I know… I know.. “its so good for you…. blah blah blah.” I get it guys. Thats why I still eat it. But since its not really my thing, I usually just make a quick balsamic dressing to throw over some arugula and call it a day. However, as I’m getting older– and apparently wiser– in an effort to make salads a lifestyle food, I’ve decided to start tyring to make interesting salads that I really enjoy.
I hate to brag, but I have to say— my first attempt really hit it out of the park! I have made this salad three times in the last couple of months and its always a hit with my friends. The ingredients are interesting, seasonal and beautiful. This is a perfect example of eating with your eyes first.
A couple of things about salad in general:
1) I suggest tossing just your salad leaves with your vinaigrette in a large bowl before adding your toppings. This allows you to coat each leaf with a bit of the vinaigrette without bogging down the toppings and overdressing your salad.
2) Generally, the rule of thumb for vinaigrettes is a 3:1 ratio of oil to vinegar. However, not all vinegars are created equal and I like to use specialty vinegars for my salads that tend to be a bit on the sweeter side. In that case I use a 2:1 or 1:1 ratio. In this salad I use pomegranate vinegar and a 1:1 ratio, but if you use a nice balsamic a 2:1 ratio works well. Its really all a matter of personal preference so try some different things out and see what you like.
3) You will never see me post quantities for salad ingredients because its all a matter of personal preference. Its great to strive for some “perfect balance” but in reality you just want to eat what you enjoy. So use as much or as little as you’d like. And go ahead and switch out what you don’t. If you’re not a fan of pistachios you can use pepitas. If you can’t find persimmons in your local grocery store use segments of orange or chunks of mango.
- for the salad:
- salad leaves of your choice
- pommagrante seeds
- pistachios (shelled)
- persimmons, peeled and cubed
- for the vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate vinegar (or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- ½ shallot finely diced
- salt and pepper to tastes
- In a small bowl whisk together all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette except the salt and pepper. After the ingredients are whisked together add a pinch of salt and pepper, stir and taste.
- In a large bowl toss the salad leaves with a couple of tablespoons of vinaigrette. This will depend on how much salad you are making but start of with 1 or 2 tablespoons and then add more depending on your taste
- Transfer the leaves to individual bowls and top with pomegranate seeds, persimmon and pisachios